Friday, February 10, 2006

Once again, the day that I loathe is almost upon us single and unattached people. The ads are all over the place, and going into a stationary store or candy shop the reminders are overly blatant and pretty much in your face. To those that are not aware, I’m talking about Valentine’s Day (14th February) the one day when I’m forced to bite my tongue and hold my temper when I’m walking through town and have to dodge flower delivery people, or love sick suckers with their arms overflowing with cards, flowers, balloons, stuffed bears (or any silly looking stuffed animal), chocolate and perfume on their way to deliver these items to some female that they desire at her place of work. In the hopes that this outpouring of gifts and affection on their part will win over the hart of said desired female. Instead, said female will take it from the gullible sap and tell her friends back in her work area that some other guy gave it to her. Along with being bombarded by petals from some bouquet of flowers that get caught in the wind stream of the maxi taxi that I’m traveling in that afternoon. Then there are those stupid couples that are so wrapped up in each other that they get stupid and forget how to do simple things. Such as walking hand in hand and blocking the path of the single angry, fed up people that are trying to get by them. I have a hard enough time with couples on a daily basis, but on Valentines Day they just annoy me even more. Here is a hint,
“GET A FRIGGIN ROOM AND GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!”

There was once was a time back when I was young, gullible and stupid; when every Valentines day I would shell out mucho dollars on cards and the odd stuffed animal(s) to give out to female friends and acquaintances. In the hopes that at least one would be so impressed that she would want to get something more out of it. One year it did work, and I got a girlfriend that I was with for a year and six months. Since then, I’ve not been able to duplicate the same result; and following graduation from College I sent out cards to one special person hoping that maybe she would someday return the same feelings to me. No such luck! Eventually I gave up on the whole sending out cards thing and became a bit of a cynic on the whole Valentine’s Day Hoopla.

If you have been single for as long as I have, tried to do right, kept it honest and been a general good person. And have been forced to watch as the jerks, assholes, and “Bad Boys” get all the attention from women while you’re ignored and relegated to the background like wall paper. Been forced to listen to women complain that “All Men Are Dogs” and “There Are No Good Decent Men Out There.” It tend to turn one into a cynic, that becoming an asshole starts to look like a damn good idea. But since its not in your character to become like the ones that you despise, you instead turn inward and dodge the couples with the public displays of affection, contend with female friends and their complaints about their ignorant/stupid/jerk of a boyfriend, while doing your best not to loose it and go on a rampage.
While I would love to avoid work on the 14th, I have no choice but to go out there and face all the love struck stupid couples and their maladies. I’m just hoping that the books I ordered will get here by then; their arrival should lessen the sting and disappointment that many single people face.

No comments: