Monday, July 23, 2012

I Should Be Doing More Of This

As someone who has dreams and aspirations of being a full time writer as a career, I have not been doing a great job at it. I'll be the first to admit that it's due in part to my constant state of procrastination added in with the nagging feeling that if my writing does not look perfect from the first three paragraphs, it's not going to be great and I put it aside.  If anyone were to go through all the notebooks, notepads, scraps of paper and my blackberry; they would find outlines to several stories that would make great short stories or full length novels. 


So what's the holdup you wonder? Me! I'm the holdup! My own self-doubts, insecurities and feelings that my writing might not be good enough for publication. There is this overwhelming fear that when I send out my completed woks of science fiction, alternate history and fantasy that they will be either wind up in the slush pile at the publishing house never to be read. Or that I'll receive a big fat rejection letter from them telling me, "Hey! You're writing is horrible! YOU SUCK AS A WRITER!! Do us and the world a favor and stop writing altogether, you will be doing the world a great service by doing so."


However, lately I've been getting this odd tingling in the back of my mind, like an incoming text message. Upon opening it the message reads, "Better to try and fail than never to try at all!" I'm then reminded of a saying that my lessons teacher Mr. Arden "The Gun" Williams used to always tell me, "A man can fail many time, but he is not a failure until he gives up!" A lot of famous and popular authors had some of their best works rejected before they finally saw the light of day in the world of the published authors. If they had given up, the world would have been denied some great works of fiction, television shows, movies, comics, animes, mangas etc.


I had originally revived my blog to get back into writing on a more regular basis. To write about some of the everyday things that I experience in my neck of the world, and that one of these posts would be the basis for either a short or long story that people would want to read about. Or that it would be a place to lay a snippet of whatever I'm working on fiction wise with the hopes of getting some feedback as to how I can make it better. I've been putting off updating for long enough, its time to get back into the saddle and utilize this forum to get the word out. All that I can ask you all out there in the net verse to do is to stay tuned, and expect to see more from me in the coming days, weeks and months. Thanks!!

No comments: